Lucey & Lucy Family History Site:
|DANIEL LUCY, the first recorded Lucy in America, emigrated to Jamestown, Virginia on the ship 'Susan' in
June 1624. Research has suggested that Daniel Lucy was the son of Timothy Lucy and Susanna Fanshawe, the youngest
son of Sir William Lucy (c1510-1551) and Ann Fermer of Charlecote.
Daniel Lucy was given a patent of four acres of land on Jamestown Island and served on two juries. Present day descendents are related to his eldest son Samuel Lucy (1618-1662). Daniel died in Virginia in 1627, owing five hundred pounds of tobacco to his kinsman, RICHARD KINGSMILL. Richard's parents are believed to be Sir William Kingsmill (1555-1618) and Anne Wilkes. Sir William Kingsmill was the cousin of CONSTANCE KINGSMILL, the wife of Sir Thomas Lucy (1551-1605) of Charlecote. The full genealogy is scheduled below.
When King James I assumed responsibility for the colony of Virginia after he dissolved the Virginia Company of London in 1624, he ordered Virginia's leaders to make a record of the colony's inhabitants and their provisions. RICHARD KINGSMILL (spelt Kingsmell) with his wife Jane, son Nathaniell (aged 5) and daughter Susan (aged 1) were resident at the 'Neck-of-Land' near 'James Citty' in the Virgina Muster (survey) of 4th February 1624/25. His servants are recorded as Horten Wright, John Jackson, Isbell Pratt and Edward (a negro). Richard arrived on the ship 'Delaware' while his wife and servant on the ship 'Susan'. This is the first census ever held in America. There is no record of Daniel Lucy in the survey as her arrived in Jamestown later the same year. Richard Kingsmill owned five houses and one boat at this location.
In 1619 the second church minister at Jamestown, the Rev. Richard Buck (1582-1624) had patented 750 acres of land in the 'Neck-of-Land' for the first time; the land separated by water from the north side of Jamestown Island. Buck apparently relied on indentured servants to improve the land, including his caretaker, Richard Kingsmill. On Buck's death in 1624, the land passed to his caretaker and Richard became the guardian of his children. In 1624 there were many transient tenants working the land on 100-200 acre plots, primarily for Kingsmill, who also owned a house in Jamestown and served on the General Assemblies of 1624, 1625 and 1629. Both Richard and his wife had died by 1638 leaving an only heir, their daughter Elizabeth who was born at 'Neck-of-Land' in 1625. This area eventually became known as the Kingsmill tobacco plantation.
THE DESCENDANTS OF RICHARD KINGSMILL (c1450-1511)
Explaining the connection between the Charlecote Lucy family and Richard Kingsmill, one of the leading first settlers of Jamestown, Virginia.
Generation No. 1
1. RICHARD1 KINGSMILL was born Abt. 1450, and died 1511.
Child of RICHARD KINGSMILL is:
2. i. JOHN2 KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1475; d. 1509.
Generation No. 2
2. JOHN2 KINGSMILL (RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1475, and died 1509. He married JANE GIFFORD. She was born Abt. 1480.
Child of JOHN KINGSMILL and JANE GIFFORD is:
3. i. SIR. JOHN3 KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1500; d. 11 August 1556.
Generation No. 3
3. SIR. JOHN3 KINGSMILL (JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1500, and died 11 August 1556. He married CONSTANCE GORING. She was born Abt. 1505, and died May 1581.
Children of JOHN KINGSMILL and CONSTANCE GORING are:
4. i. SIR. RICHARD4 KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1523; d. 17 September 1600, Highclere, Hampshire.
5. ii. SIR. WILLIAM KINGSMILL, b. 1526; d. 11 December 1592.
iii. GEORGE KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1528; d. 1606; m. SARAH HARRINGTON.
More About GEORGE KINGSMILL:
Fact 1: Died without issue
6. iv. THOMAS KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1530.
v. MARGARET KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1530; m. JOHN THORNBOROUGH.
vi. CATHERINE KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1530; m. RICHARD NORTON.
More About CATHERINE KINGSMILL:
Fact 1: Known as Lady Norton
vii. MARY KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1530; m. GODDARD.
Generation No. 4
4. SIR. RICHARD4 KINGSMILL (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1523, and died 17 September 1600 in Highclere, Hampshire. He married (1) ALICE FAULKNER. She was born Abt. 1620. He married (2) ELIZABETH WOODROFFE. She was born Abt. 1535.
More About SIR. RICHARD KINGSMILL:
Fact 1: Resident: Highclere, Hampshire
More About ELIZABETH WOODROFFE:
Fact 1: No children from marriage to Richard Kingsmill
Child of RICHARD KINGSMILL and ALICE FAULKNER is:
7. i. CONSTANCE5 KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1567, Highclere, Hampshire; d. 1637.
5. SIR. WILLIAM4 KINGSMILL (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1526, and died 11 December 1592. He married BRIDGET RALEIGH Abt. 1555. She was born Abt. 1530.
More About WILLIAM KINGSMILL and BRIDGET RALEIGH:
Marriage: Abt. 1555
Children of WILLIAM KINGSMILL and BRIDGET RALEIGH are:
i. CONSTANCE5 KINGSMILL, b. 1551; d. 1589; m. RICHARD FIENNES; b. Abt. 1550.
More About RICHARD FIENNES:
Fact 1: Lord Say
8. ii. SIR. WILLIAM KINGSMILL, b. 1555; d. 30 June 1618.
iii. THOMAS KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1556; m. DADETH DE VALERA; b. Abt. 1560.
iv. ELEANOR KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1557; m. HENRY GORING; b. Abt. 1550.
v. RICHARD KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1558.
vi. BRIDGET KINGSMILL, b. 1559; m. THOMAS NORREYS; b. Abt. 1555.
vii. ROBERT KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1562.
viii. CATHERINE KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1564; m. ANTHONY PALMER; b. Abt. 1560.
ix. FERDINAND KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1566.
x. FRANCES KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1568; m. JOHN CROKER; b. Abt. 1565.
xi. FRANCIS KINGSMILL, b. 6 January 1569/70; d. 25 July 1620; m. DOROTHY ST. LEGER; b. Abt. 1575.
xii. GEORGE KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1572.
xiii. JOHN KINGSMILL, b. 1574; d. 1575.
xiv. JOHN KINGSMILL, b. Abt. 1576.
6. THOMAS4 KINGSMILL (JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1530.
Child of THOMAS KINGSMILL is:
i. JOHN5 KINGSMILL, b. Bet. 1550 - 1556.
Generation No. 5
7. CONSTANCE5 KINGSMILL (RICHARD4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born Abt. 1567 in Highclere, Hampshire, and died 1637. She married SIR. THOMAS LUCY, son of THOMAS LUCY and JOYCE ACTON. He was born 1551, and died 1605 in Charlecote, Warwickshire.
More About CONSTANCE KINGSMILL:
Fact 1: had 6 sons and 8 daughters (second wife of Thomas Lucy)
Fact 2: Inherited Highclere in Hampshire
Fact 3: An heiress worth £40, 000 to her husband
Fact 4: Only daughter and heir of Richard Kingsmill and Alice Faulkner
Fact 5: Her cousin Richard Kingsmill (presumed son of Sir William Kingsmill & Ann Wilkes) was the neighbour of Daniel Lucy (1594-1627) in Jamestown, Virginia, the presumed son of Timothy Lucy & Susanna Fanshawe.
More About DANIEL LUCY:
Fact 1: June 1624, Emigrated to Jamestown Virginia in the "Susan" in 1624
Fact 2: 1624, Given patent of four acres of land on Jamestown Island and served on two juries
Fact 3: youngest son of Timothy Lucy
Fact 4: 1627, Died owing £500 of tobacco to his neighbour, Richard Kingsmill.
Fact 5: Married Abigail, "the tanner's daughter" about 1617 in Warwickshire, England.
More About SIR. THOMAS LUCY:
Fact 1: 1595, knighted
Fact 2: he had 6 sons and 8 daughters, with second wife Constance
Fact 3: only son of Thomas Lucy
Fact 4: 1605, buried in chapel, north side of Charlecote Church
Children of CONSTANCE KINGSMILL and THOMAS LUCY are:
9. i. SIR. THOMAS6 LUCY, b. 1585; d. 8 December 1640.
ii. BRIDGET LUCY, b. Abt. 1587; m. RICHARD KNIGHTLEY.
More About BRIDGET LUCY:
Fact 1: eldest daughter
More About RICHARD KNIGHTLEY:
Fact 1: Lord of Fawsley
iii. ELIZABETH LUCY, b. Abt. 1590; m. SIR. ANTHONY HUNGERFORD.
More About ELIZABETH LUCY:
Fact 1: second daughter
10. iv. SIR. RICHARD LUCY, b. 1592; d. 6 April 1667.
v. ANNE LUCY, b. Abt. 1593; m. SIR. ROBERT WHITNEY.
More About ANNE LUCY:
Fact 1: third daughter
More About SIR. ROBERT WHITNEY:
Fact 1: of Whitney, Herefordshire
vi. GEORGE LUCY, b. 1593; d. Slain in France.
11. vii. REV. WILLIAM LUCY, b. 1594, Hurstbourne, Hampshire; d. 4 October 1677, Buried: Collegiate Church, Brecon..
viii. ROBERT LUCY, b. Abt. 1595; d. 1615, France.
ix. SUSANNA LUCY, b. Abt. 1598; m. ROBERT CHAMBERLAYNE.
12. x. FRANCIS LUCY, b. 1600; d. 1686, buried: Hammersmith Church, West London.
8. SIR. WILLIAM5 KINGSMILL (WILLIAM4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1) was born 1555, and died 30 June 1618. He married ANNE WILKES 1576. She was born Abt. 1555.
More About WILLIAM KINGSMILL and ANNE WILKES:
Children of WILLIAM KINGSMILL and ANNE WILKES are:
i. ELIZABETH6 KINGSMILL, b. 1581; d. 1 September 1621.
ii. SIR. HENRY KINGSMILL, b. 1587; d. 22 October 1624; m. BRIDGET WHITE, 20 December 1610.
More About HENRY KINGSMILL and BRIDGET WHITE:
Marriage: 20 December 1610
iii. GEORGE KINGSMILL, b. 1590.
iv. WALTER KINGSMILL, b. 1591.
v. JOSHUA KINGSMILL, b. 1593.
vi. BRIDGET KINGSMILL, b. 1594.
vii. ANNA KINGSMILL, b. 1595; d. 1673.
viii. ELEANOR KINGSMILL, b. 1598; d. 24 May 1641.
ix. MARGARET KINGSMILL, b. 1598; d. 1664.
x. FRANCES KINGSMILL, b. 1600.
xi. MARTHA KINGSMILL, b. 1602.
xii. JUDITH KINGSMILL, b. 1604.
13. xiii. RICHARD KINGSMILL, b. 1604, Kingsclere, Hampshire; d. Bet. 1634 - 1638.
More About RICHARD6 KINGSMILL (WILLIAM5, WILLIAM4, JOHN3, JOHN2, RICHARD1), born 1604 in Kingsclere, Hampshire, and died Bet. 1634 - 1638. He married JANE. She died Bet. 1625 - 1638 in Jamestown, Virginia.
Fact 1: One of the first 'Ancient Planters, resident at the 'Neck-of-Land' near 'James Citty' in the Virgina Muster (survey) of 4th February 1624/25.
Children of RICHARD KINGSMILL and JANE are:
i. NATHANIEL7 KINGSMILL, b. 1619, Jamestown, Virginia; d. Bef. 1638, Jamestown, Virginia.
ii. SUSAN KINGSMILL, b. 1623, Jamestown, Virginia; d. Bef. 1638, Jamestown, Virginia.
iii. ELIZABETH KINGSMILL, b. 1625, 'Neck-of-Land', Jamestown, Virginia; d. Aft. 1656, Jamestown, Virginia; m. (1) NATHANIEL BACON; m. (2) WILLIAM TAYLOE.
Published by Norman Lucey
68, Hill Rise, Rickmansworth, Hertfordshire, United Kingdom
Tel: UK 01923 775025
© Copyright 2007, Norman Lucey. All rights reserved.